Maple Syrup (1 teaspoon)
Raw honey (1 teaspoon)
Whole leaf stevia extract (use sparingly)
Nuts & Seeds (Nuts & seeds make great snacks, but eat in moderation. If possible, soak seeds and nuts overnight to improve digestion, absorption and assimilation)
Almonds, raw+Amaranth+Brazil Nuts+Buckwheat+Cashews+Chia+Flax+Pistachios +Pumpkin+Sunflower+Sesame+Teff+Walnuts
Healthy Alternative to Sugar
When baking cookies, scones and cakes, try substituting sugars with applesauce which results in a moist and flavourful experience. Try coconut sugar. It can almost be touted as a health food when comparing it to other sugars. With its mellow flavour, it has been the staple sweetener in South East Asia for a long time. It is considered a healthier sugar because of its low glycemic impact, and its significant amounts of potassium, magnesium, and zinc. It also boasts iron, B vitamins, and inositol, which is known for its impact on the central nervous system and the development of healthy cells. This sugar helps to manage pain and quell anxiety. Coconut sugar can be used in the same proportions as you would use regular sugar. Try it out in a favourite recipe and move refined sugar to the back shelf. Check out this recipe!
WHOLESOME COCONUT BANANA BREAD
¾ cup brown rice flour
¾ cup quinoa flour
½ cup coconut sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
4 tbsp ground flax seed
½ cup unsweetened dried coconut
1 cup ripe bananas, mashed
2 large eggs
½ cup coconut oil
¼ cup water
(1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9x3 loaf pan, set aside.
(2) Combine the flours, coconut sugar, spices, baking soda, salt, flax seed and dried coconut in a large mixing bowl.
(3) In a separate bowl combine the bananas, eggs, coconut oil and water.
(4) Mix until well incorporated and slightly fluffy. Add banana mixture to flour mixture and fold together until just combined.
(5) Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the loaf comes out clean. Let cool before turning the banana bread out of the pan.
(6) Slice and enjoy immediately.
(7) Wrap tightly and save for up to 4 days.